111 SQN ROYAL AIR FORCE RAF ROUNDEL LAPEL PIN (111 ROUND)
Wear this 111 Sqn Royal Air Force Roundel Pin with pride at any time of the year.
Made with High quality metals and enamels.
Rear rubber butterfly pin fastener.
Size: 30mm x 10mm
Free UK Postage & Packaging
International postage will be added at checkout using Royal Mails current International Large Letter Tariff
No. 111 (Fighter) Squadron was a squadron of the Royal Air Force. It was formed in 1917 in the Middle East as No. 111 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps during the reorganisation of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force after General Edmund Allenby took command during the Sinai and Palestine Campaign. The squadron remained in the Middle East after the end of the First World War until 1920 when it was renumbered as No. 14 Squadron.
The squadron was reformed in 1923. In World War II in 1940, it fought in the Battle of Britain. In late 1941 it moved to the Mediterranean, where it was involved in the North African Campaign and then the Allied invasion of Sicily and the Allied invasion of Italy. Disbanded in the years after the war, the squadron reformed in 1953 with jets.
Operating the Hawker Hunter, No. 111 Squadron provided an aerobatic display team – the Black Arrows. It also performed aerobatics when it re-equipped with the Lightning interceptor. The Squadron moved to Scotland in 1975 remaining there after it exchanged Phantoms for the air defence variant of the Panavia Tornado. It operated the Panavia Tornado F3 in air defence from RAF Leuchars, Scotland until March 2011, when the squadron was disbanded, at the same time ending the Tornado F3 service in the RAF. (Wikipedia)
We Also Recommend