Royal Welch Fusiliers Remembrance Poppy Pins
CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
PLEASE ADD YOUR EMAIL TO THE WAITING LIST VIA THE GREEN TAB LOCATED ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE SCREEN
Wear this Royal Welch Fusiliers Remembrance Pin with pride at any time of the year not just Remembrance Week.
Made with High quality metals and enamels.
Rear butterfly pin fastener.
Size: The petal part is the size of a 50p
Free UK Postage & Packaging
International postage will be added at checkout using Royal Mails current International Large letter Tariff
The Royal Welch Fusiliers was a line infantry regiment of the British Army, part of the Prince of Wales' Division. It was founded in 1689 to oppose James II and to take part in the imminent war with France. The regiment was numbered as the 23rd Regiment of Foot, though it was one of the first regiments to be granted the honour of a fusilier title and so was known as The Welsh Regiment of Fusiliers from 1702. The "Royal" accolade was earned fighting in the War of the Spanish Succession in 1713.
It was one of the oldest infantry regiments in the regular army, hence the archaic spelling of the word Welch instead of Welsh. In the Boer War and throughout the First World War, the army officially called the regiment "The Royal Welsh Fusiliers" but the archaic "Welch" was officially restored to the regiment's title in 1920 under Army Order No.56. During those decades, the regiment itself unofficially used the "Welch" form. The regiment was amalgamated with the Royal Regiment of Wales (RRW) on 1 March 2006, to become the 1st Battalion, Royal Welsh (RRW becoming the 2nd Battalion).
The regiment primarily recruited from North Wales. It should not be confused with the Welch Regiment, which recruited from South and West Wales.